Monday, October 4, 2010

W6/7: Balance Revisited

I am a horrible reality show junkie... horrible. I suppose if I had to name a guilty pleasure that would be it... well, that and Mocha-Caramel Ice Coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Together... at the same time. With a Lindt White Chocolate and Almond bar....... whoops... sorry I forgot you were here.

So... back to reality... shows. I used to love to watch Survivor and the would always have the teams come together and compete in challenges. Some were gross, like eating bugs or other super gross things. Some were thinking things, and then there were the physical challenges. One they would always have went a little like this: the contestants would all stand on giant poles in the middle of the water and balance.... and balance.... and balance. Until they slowly began to drop off like flies. Sometimes the fall would come from exhaustion, sometimes weakness, some out of pride and a feeling of safety would just give up. But then, there were always the ones who stuck it out. They would go hours and hours. You truly would feel their pain and exhaustion. You would watch as they made a slight adjustment, they just couldn't hold the position any longer. Their balance was waning and they just needed to readjust. And at that split second... that moment their balance would be just a tad bit off, and down they would go. Game over.

That's kinda how I felt the past couple of weeks. We've had family visiting, field trips (that both did and did not happen), work schedules, ministry, and sickness. School has happened between events and naps, but not the way I had hoped. This morning I sat down to fill out our plan book for this week, and I really was surprised by how well we had done through the chaos. Not everything got tackled, but a lot did.

It made me think back to my first post from week 1. I entitled it "balance." These past two weeks showed me that really, I do have things pretty well balanced, some times they scoot over to one side and get a little tippy, but somehow we manage to wiggle back to center ground. I've found myself condemning myself the past few days, and questioning progress and how to do things better. I think that sometimes that is good, but a lot of times, I think we just get into a groove of wanting to feel perfect, or wanting to keep up with Miss. XYZ. And quite frankly I think stupid hormones can wreak havoc and cause us to think everything is a mess! Reality is usually different though.

I guess my point amidst all this rambling is that over time, I think we can find that balance. It becomes second nature. I kinda like that. It comforts me. It also makes me think of what has been "my verse" for 2010. God really spoke it to me clearly this January, and I keep coming back to it. I can become overwhelmed very easily... by good things, and bad things. The thing I need to remember always, and the secret to balance I think is this:
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33
 That's really what it come down to... seeking God first. So back to reality shows... yeah I know it's a lousy segway... one of the one's we love now is Wipeout. Talk about funny! I think that more exhibits my life, they get knocked down and rather than it being game over, they have to do it again... and again... and sometimes again, til they get it. That's me. That's the story of my life. But that's okay, in the words Paul:

I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Philippians 3:14 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment