Here I am again, back in front of Blogger, feeling inspired and hopeful. It's kind of the way my heart is feeling looking forward toward the next nine months. Another school year, one filled with uncertainty, one filled with hope, one filled with milestones. This year we'll be tackling fifth grade with Max, and Kahli is...gulp... a Senior. How quickly time flies. In all fairness, K is only supposed to be a Junior, but we decided at the end of her seventh grade year to bump her to high school due to the level of work. But still.... what happened to the past 16 years?!
So, back to this year, and this blog. With the exception of the first year of homeschooling we have always used the CAT (California Achievement Test) for our end of the year assessment. Both kids have hated it, but Max has definitely struggled more. Due to some learning glitches he tends to struggle in some areas, and this always seems highlighted during testing. This year it dawned on me, and I decided that for his 5th grade year we will put together a Portfolio Review. The thing I struggle with though is documenting through photographs. I love, love, love photography and (sorta) like journalling. However, I never do it. Secondly, I love looking at other Mama's homeschool blogs, and desperately miss the encouragement and "sisterhood" of our old homeschool group. So.... I decided a good way to tackle all these issues would be through documenting this year here.... on blogger.
There are some guidelines though... as you have already learned. Firstly, I've decided to not make this blog public. This is a record of my children's education, I don't think the world needs to see it... at least not right now... who knows I may change my mind. Secondly, I would ask that you be sensitive with things you read here. If I write about one of my child's struggles (ie., with reading), please don't ask about it right in front of them... y'know, common sense stuff. So that's it... that's the plan (Stan). My plan is to update once a week, or so. That's my goal: once a week. More maybe, but not less.
School for Max starts Monday. Kahli really will be doing minimal homeschooling this year, a few basic loose ends to tie up, but mostly her education will occur at our local high school. I'll be posting goals, and a curriculum run down soon. But for now, this seemed like a good place to start.
I'm excited to read about your journey this year. I'm really drawn to homeschooling my littlest, Sagie, and I would love to learn all I can about what other moms are finding helpful or having struggles with. It's a really big undertaking, and I am proud of all my friends like you who have made that commitment. Have a blessed start to the school year!!!
ReplyDelete